Xeroform Petrolatum Dressing Instructions for wound care
First of all is the proper hand washing
It is important to clean your hands before changing Xeroform kendall gauze . You can use an alcohol-based cleaner like Purell can wash your hands by following these steps:
– Remove all jewelry from your hands.
– Wet your hands , putting them in warm water stream .
-Add soap ( antibacterial soap recommended ) wash your hands for 15 to 30 seconds. Also clean under fingernails .
– Rinse .
– Dry hands with a clean towel.
The doctor will tell you how often to change your dressing. Be prepared before starting to change :
Clean your hands before touching the dressing.
– verify you have on hand all the materials you will need.
– Have a clean work surface for all the equipment you will need .
instructions for removing the old dressing :
Remove the tape carefully.
Use a clean medical gloves ( non-sterile) Xeroform gauze old to grip and remove.
If the dressing sticks to the wound, moisten with a little warm water and try again .
Put the old dressing in a plastic bag and discard .
Wash your hands again after removing the old dressing .
Xeroform Petrolatum Dressing Instructions for Wound Care
– You can use a gauze pad or a soft cloth to clean the skin around the wound :
– Use a normal saline solution (salt water ) or mild soapy water.
– Soak the gauze or cloth in the saline solution or soapy water and gently dab the wound and clean it.
– Try to remove all drainage and any dried blood or other matter that may have accumulated on the skin.
– Do not use skin cleansers , alcohol , peroxide, iodine, or soaps with antibacterial chemicals . These can damage the wound tissue and slow your healing .
The doctor may also ask you wet or wash the wound :
– Fill a syringe with salt water or soapy water , what the doctor recommends.
– Hold the syringe 1 to 6 inches ( 2-15 centimeters ) away from the wound, and spray hard enough into it to wash drainage and secretion.
– Use a dry , soft cloth to carefully pat the wound dry cloth .
– No any lotion , cream, or herbal remedies on or around your wound without asking your doctor first applies.
Putting on the New Dressing Petrolatum Xeroform
* Place the clean dressing over the wound and the doctor or nurse will tell mostraron.es carefully trying not to cause wound infection also can use a wet or dry dressing.
* Wash your hands when done.
* Throw all the old dressings and other used supplies in a waterproof plastic bag. Close it tightly , then fold it before putting it in the trash.
* Wash any dirty clothes dressing change separately from other laundry . Ask your doctor if you need to add bleach to the wash water .
* Use a dressing only once and never reused.
When to call the doctor
Call your doctor if :
Observe any of these changes around the wound :
The wound is larger or deeper
The wound looks dried out or dark
enlarges if redness around the wound :
Becomes thick , tan or yellow , or smells bad (pus )
Your temperature is above 100 ° F ( 37.8 ° C ) for more than four hours.